On April 28, 1915, a new theatrical group called The Footlights was formed. Its first production The Amazons by Pinero starred many prominent Honolulu citizens inlcuding Will Lewers, Mrs. Walter F. Dillingham, Helen Alexander, Margaret Center and Gerrit Wilder. Held at Honolulu Opera House, where Honolulu’s Merchant Street Post Office stands, these collective performances would serve as the spirited beginning of the nation’s third-oldest, continuously operating theatre in the entire United States.
In 1934, The Footlights growing popularity led to its evolution as Honolulu Community Theatre. Its original mission still stands: “Community service through the art of theatre, involving Hawaii’s people as audience members, stage crew and performers.”